(I’m playing catch up with all the lovely things I wanted to write in the past 2 weeks or so…but haven’t been able to cause life keeps interferring…lol…)
So seeing as this is one of the most seen tag in this blog of mine (can I call this a blog?) I figured I would just write a few more things about this.
First off, if you check our their website, they now have a reviews section for their products. Which is somewhat awesome, seeing as I don’t have to go back and forth between the ELF site, and MUA. The only problem is…Some of these people that write, write for the sake of writing, and so are quite biased in their opinions. I was reading through some…and…some just voted high numbers, but then said that the product was alright. What the heck?!
Anyway, I hadn’t written about my first purchases with ELF, and was only reminded when I was using the eyeliner again, seeing as I couldn’t find my MAC one.
So a few things…
- Be aware of the type of skin that you have. I personally have rather sensitive skin, and would not think of buying face powders or blush on the site because of it. It would be too much of an irritant for my skin, but that is not to say that it won’t work for you either. That is why I am saying know your skin.
- The biggest complaint about the eyeshadows, is that they do not last very long. I found that to be quite true. My Dusk shadow last a few hours, before it needs a touch up. It turns into a light grey…So use a good primer for your eyelids to preserve its wear. With the money you save on shadows, you could always invest in Mac’s bare canvas (I think it was called), or Urban Decays Primer Potion (Which I love~!). I have used the Monostat chafing cream as a primer before, and it’s actually not too bad. So thats a cheaper alternative. At the bare minimum, dust some powder on your eyelids, at least it will make the colours stand true, and perhaps fight oily eyelids longer, like mine.
- The scented lip stuff, don’t last too long either. Though thats more because I tend to lick them off cause I happen to like the smell. My friend detests the smell, and seeing as she loves ‘borrowing’ stuff from me I carry the grape one around to deter her! haha…(I love the candlelight one I bought before.)
False Eyelashes: Natural
– the problem I had with this, was that they weren’t really tapered at all. So I had to mend them by trimming them (which I royally suck at.) The glue obviously isn’t all that great, so you will need to invest in a decent glue, (Duo) if anything. I personally didn’t like how they looked afterwards either, and so I cut them up into smaller pieces, and use them for the outer parts of the eye, in the smaller cuts that I made. (this was prior to the time they released the single lash kit.)
– also they lose their shape quite easily, seeing as they are rather hard to pull off the tray it comes in, so you must make sure to play them back on the tray somehow, so they can try and redeem the shape that it is supposed to take.
Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
– my friend reqested this, just to try out, seeing as she is a total liquid junkie. she found it to absorb in a really weird way onto her eyelid, and didn’t really retain its colour. so she had to touch it up with a pencil liner ontop of it to ‘seal’ it in.
Brightening Eye Liner
– I figured I couldn’t go wrong with eyeliner, so I bought one in black. I had hoped maybe this time around it would be better (the day I couldn’t find my MAC liner.)
– Basically it doesn’t really run very smooth, in drawing my line on my lid, and seeing as the skin is more sensitive to tugging, I don’t like using it. I don’t want premature wrinkles from pencil tugging! haha…the weird things we females need to worry about…
– the other thing with this, was that it smudges really easily for my type of lid. My type being moderately oily. I found that the BonneBelle liner was far better for double the ELF price. I kept having to clean the lower line during my trips to the bathroom, so I wouldn’t end up looking like a raccoon at the end of the day.
– but it does come with a decent sharpener. I like it a lot.
Brightening Eye Colour
– I got this in Drama. The main purpose in buying it, was to tote it around with me. And for the main purpose for purchasing it, it really stands up to the challenge. I love that the colours allow me to highlight where necessary, and blend when needed.
– Of course it still doesnt last as long, but it’s good for those days where you are late, and running to class/work/whatever, and you realize that you forgot the rest of your makeup at home on your desk top.
– because of its size, it’s quite convienient to carry around, and so I take it pretty much everywhere. Of course due to the size, it might not last very long, on a daily use basis, but again that’s not the reason that I originally purchased it for, so I love it.
– Personally I Hated it. Didn’t do much for me. Might as well use a normal white pencil, or even pearly shadow
So that should be all now.
This winter, seeing as this year’s Canadian winter has been all crazy, my face has been pretty crazy as well. I haven’t been able to use foundation, mainly cause I need it to heal before covering it up. So I haven’t used the foundation brush yet…perhaps I should give it to my mom…
Oh one last thing. Sign up for their newsletter. I know I know, newsletters can be annoying. I completely agree. But if you are thinking of buying their stuff, they do have quite the number of promotional codes that you can use, that they send you right to your mail box. Though my personal fav, 50% off your purchase up to 15 dollars, is my favourite one. That and the $1 shipping code. Though I don’t remember what the code for that is. If you do a search online, I’m sure a lot of other proper beauty blogs will have them listed. But depending on what you are going to buy…I still think that the 50% off is the best one ever.
If there are any questions you might have…and you think I might be able to help you, do leave a comment. Otherwise…hope that your experience with ELF is a good one, far better than mine.
(though now…I am somewhat addicted to their shadows…and will need to purchase some more soon…damn…)