Here I am, back with yet another late night ramblings.
Continue reading “Late night ramblings…”
…and hello to 2015!!
As you read this, I wanted to take the time to thank you.
2014 was a rough year for me for various reasons. Even with my break from the blog, one thing that motivated me was to get back to my blog. It did take much longer than I had hoped, but boy was it great to be back here.
Recently, I have also have had many new blog subscribers on WordPress. I wanted to thank you for even wanting to subscribe! I also found out, that there were a lot of email subscribers…some of whom have been following for years.
For reading the rambles…for putting up with all the typing errors that I glossed over.
Thank you for sticking by. Thank you for subscribing…cause that still amazes me. Just…thank you.
I am expecting a few changes in my life very soon (which you already kind of know if you read some of my late night posts), and can’t wait to start that chapter.
So, I hope that 2015 will bring the very best for us all! May you be healthy, be surrounded by great people, and live life to the fullest this upcoming year…as I will try to as well :D
Have a great day folks!
Let’s look back on my 2014. It was a bit of a rough year for me in a lot of different ways…but it is nice looking back on how far I’ve come.
- Aside from the fact that I was sick, I didn’t start off the new year the way I would have thought
- Watched American Hustle
- Got really stressed and upset with UT. I swear they seek to screw you over
- Celebrated my birthday
- Hung out with the rest of the #BeautyUnited for the Grammy preview party at the Thompson Hotel
- Met a cool gal in my Poetry class. Prof was pretty awesome, and taught us a lot about a world that I didn’t really know much about
- Went to the Pantene Beauty Hair Blow Out, had fun catching up with the lovely ladies (my hair looked awesome)
- Played lazer tag for our annual HPA get together, love this family of mine
- Took a break
- Realized that even those you might have known for over a decade…can let you down in the worst of ways possible
- I started blogging again, just as I started in the first place. A form of self therapy
- Realized that UTM is a hardass
- Love that a classmate had my back, despite only having known me for a month
- Decided to ban Tucker’s Marketplace, after the EXTREMELY poor way they handled an issue at one of their restaurants. They are lucky my mother didn’t get hurt, otherwise I would have turned my dear awesome personal injury lawyer on them. As a side note, it was only after the mention of a lawyer to intercede that they even asked if we were okay. Not cool. Never again.
- Dearest Friend got engaged :D the third from my high school group of friends. Wish I could have celebrated with her and her Fiancees friend’s…too bad we weren’t in the inner circle *cries*
- Bought a ticket for a week get away to Korea. Commence countdown
- Thankful that my Prof took me aside to talk to me. Why didn’t they have Profs like this when I first started in University? I would have had a much better time then. Plus, I had a lot of fun learning in her classes.
- I’m a bridesmaid :)
- Had an unexpected visitor the last day of the semester, just after I wrote an exam. Was not cool. (No, it wasn’t Aunt Flow)
- PBunnieP came to Toronto, and we got to hang out :D
- Won the Shiseido Cotton Giveaway :D (and the post I shared half a year later lol)
- Started summer school. But it’s okay, it will be the last. Plus I met some nice people
- Partial closure
- Disappointment in our CJS
- Got scolded by my friend. That is what friends are supposed to be like. They should challenge you when they think you are taking the wrong path/made a mistake (I’m looking back at this now…and cannot for the life of me remember what they scolded me for…I hope that when the situation comes up again…I act according to the new view…)
- Friend got engaged, 4th from our old high school group
- Attended the uber fun Annabelle Party
- Found out I won theInsiders LePage giveaway tool kit
- Got my first Pandora ring thanks to their promo sale. Was a big deal for me lol. Friend and I took ages to pick them out
- Found the family registry for my dads side of the family, for when he and my mother got married. Was interesting learning more about his side of the family
- Mom cut her hair. It is a longer version of the pixie cut. This is significant only because I haven’t seen her like that, and…it was weird lol but in a good way :)
- Celebrated with a friend for her bachelorette
- Palmolive Jug from Costco decided to unload itself in the trunk. Colgate Palmolive thought they were being SUPER nice to send me a generic email of apology and $10 in coupons. Does not cover the cleaning cost, or the actual cost of the product I had bought in the first place. Plus I didn’t like the dismissive nature of the suggestions to prevent this. That’s fine, I like PG and Dawn better anyway…
- Got to see a friend I haven’t seen in ages
- booked the place to stay while I am in Korea
- Had an incident in the parking lot of Target…(as of the first week of December it was ‘resolved’. However, if they act like this on behalf of Target…guess who is not shopping at Target anymore. I ended up returning everything that I didn’t use out of spite. Lucky that their return policy is so long). Law friend still thinks I should take it further
- Finally completed it. Success
- Met up with pals, and laughed, made fun, gushed over random things for 4 hours at Starbucks. Thank goodness for the nice patio weather :D
- Found out my plans for the upcoming year are going to be delayed a few months :T
- Attended a friends wedding. Its funny because when we were kids, we hated each other because of the hand of a twisted girl we mutually knew. Luckily thanks to another good friend whom we mutually know, brought us together again.
- Spent a random day around the city, with good friend for her bday
- Bought a battery bank. I find that news because it was so freaking hard to decide! lol
- Received my replacement Nexus 4 phone, and got the Bzzkit
- Participated in the Influenster Twitter chat, and won for participating (As of now, still haven’t received my prize :T)
- KOREA 2014! It will be 4 years since I visited in December of 2010, so I am super glad to go
- Climbed Bukhasan for kicks (hmm…I don’t know where those pictures are…)
- Went to my first Jimjilbang!!! TOTALLY AWESOME! Totally worth trying not be embarrassed over :P
- Danced away the night, celebrating the wedding of one of my closest guy friends. <3 to L & V
- It may have taken forever, but I finally have it. This piece of paper took awhile, but I have it.
- Got fingerprinted for clearance
- Getting consulate run around
- One month left to another change in life
- Got the run around for the consul
- Received a phone call which I didn’t care for anymore
- Did a lot of paperwork
- Tutored my last student at a place I’ve pretty much called home for nearly a decade
- Thankful for all the opportunities that this blog has had over the last year. Thankful for all the new readers, commenters…friends :)
- Guess who is sick (+ got cramps) for NYE? While friends are having fun at the house parties I was supposed to attend -___-
- Excited to say goodbye to 2014…good riddance…
It is yet again 2:30-ish when I post this. Its just…quieter at home. I’ve always been more of a night owl, though I do love my sleep. In any case, I wanted to do a small update.
I ended up having my screening interview with the recruiter. The thing is…I almost made a HUGE mistake with the Korean time. That would have been an epic fail for a math tutor lol. In any case, I realized my mistake, and set 10 different alarms on the phone, as well as reminders around the house. Then I proceeded to enjoy my Sunday, having lunner with two lovely friends.
I got home 2 hours before the Skype interview…and I was freaking out. Internally. I kept looking at the mirror. I kept checking to ensure that I was connected. Then I figured I would use my brother’s Mac, but the camera didn’t work for some reason. So what was a gal to do? I used my phone.
Of course I need to freak out that my phone might die, despite having 80% battery left. But if I connect it to the charger, I can’t prop it upright…
That, dear readers, is when I utilized my Selfie Stick/Monopod lol
In any case, I got it all set up.
And proceeded with my interview.
First off, I wish that things could go well, and I can find a placement with this recruiter. I just really had fun with our interview. It was not all one way, but rather he shared his experiences living in Canada as well, and was VERY informative about the Visa process. Of course, a lot of that went over my head, but a trip to the Consulate will hopefully help me out. In any case, I hope that things go well. Will have to send a reference letter, and hopefully manage to finish up my video tomorrow.
I told him that I totally understood that my requirements were a little difficult to work with (that I expect a minimum of 2.3 for pay, and need to have my vacation during that week in November). On the flip side, I did tell him I would be open to placement (anywhere, though I do prefer Seoul or Gyeunggido, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to meet up with my Aunts as often…and time is ticking for the opportunity to do so), I was open to working weekends if the pay was good, and that I was flexible for age group (though I would prefer older years over Kindie’s if the chance allows.
He also told me that I should get the F4 Visa. He listed a few good reasons, most importantly that I could leave the placement should anything happen (such as them not honouring the stated vacation), not that something should as they have taken care to look into the schools, but just in case. I really appreciated that, since I can’t miss that wedding (she would hate me for life, and I would be down a Bridesmaid should I get married in the future). He also mentioned if the pay wasn’t enough, I could at least pick up gigs to tutor with the F4. Which is true…and my cousin’s kids are in the upper years ready to take their exams…so I could have the opportunity to tutor with kids.
Anyway, the only problem was…he said that a position for me, with my requirements…would probably only happen at the end of February.
That is the problem.
I can’t work at my current place, since this plan is too unstable. Should I have to pickup and leave suddenly, that would mess up the schedule with our students. It just isn’t fair to my kiddies. Having to wait two months is a huge damper. I’m actually considering taking the lower pay…just so that I don’t have to lose out. But when I calculated, it technically would be a little helpful to hold out. I can afford to wait a little bit…so we will see where this goes.
Basically it is a lot of finger crossing, and hoping.
So…we will see.
Looks like I won’t get my wish of leaving just before the end of January, but hopefully things will move a little faster…*fingers crossed*
Here I am…writing at 2:30 yet again.
But I can’t sleep. Again.
I waited til 9pm last night, and when I didn’t hear back…I shot off an email to one of the new contacts that I was introduced to yesterday.
They emailed me back within two hours. I’m sure the other one gets a lot of applications, but it would have been nice to stick to their own deadline, or just tell me “no”. In any case, I’ve dusted my hands of them.
Now, I mentioned that I needed to be back in Toronto for my friend’s wedding in November. I let them know that in the preliminary email. All my friends who have taught in Korea at Hakwon’s have said that they haven’t had issues with taking vacations. But then again, they did this back when they graduated undergrad about 7 years ago. Guess things have changed, as even the Hakwons have more strict days for vacation times.
In any case, if I don’t take a week off, they are willing to discuss working with me. That is going to be tight, but then again AY knows. I’m thankful she would rather me be there for a short while, rather than not being there at all. So, how have I worked the schedule?
- Leave Korea Wednesday night, come back to Toronto by Wednesday night
- Attend rehearsal dinner Thursday/Friday night
- Ensure I know choreography for the dance
- Make sure bridesmaid dress is alright
- Be awesome for her wedding day, and cry buckets for my dear friend
- Dance the evening away
- Send off the happy couple
- Run back home, grab luggage
- Hop back on plane Sunday morning, arrive back in Korea Monday morning
At least…that is the plan so far. Otherwise, maybe I can find a half year gig, transfer my E2 into an F4, and tutor until the wedding. Ah…molla. Guess we will see what this recruiter says. Either way, I’ve started digging up all the English Conversation materials I used at SA many years ago. Also started looking for games. Doesn’t hurt to have something prepared right :P
My sleep schedule has been officially messed up! I finished working with my students yesterday…which means I am on hardcore hunting duty!
Anyway, I applied to a recruiter late Sunday evening. I know I haven’t reached the end of their 2-3 day wait period, but the personal luck pessimist in me says that I won’t get a reply.
I messed up the summary. Note to self/Note to anyone…if you have a small form to fill in a certain amount of words, so it in word. When you are done, paste it into the form on the website. Basically, I had gone past the number of words, so I was editing in the little form. I submitted (I try to argue to myself that it was 1am, and that I was just tired…), I realized that I had missed deleting two words! ACK! Anyway, that is why I don’t think I will hear from them.
So where does that leave me?
Well, I was browsing some hashtags on Instagram, and came across an individual who had taught, but had just returned home from her contract. SCORE! So I made an inquiry, and got two more chances to try and get through this. I also learned of another recruiter that is apparently fairly reliable from yet another Instagram user, who posted her blog link.
I was trying to get my documents verified/inquire about verification from the Korean Consulate, but it always, ALWAYS goes to voicemail. I also do not get a call back despite leaving a message. So it looks like I will have to make a trek downtown to ask them in person. Then, when I get a proper answer, will have to hunt down a Notary to get my documents done. I just wanted proper answers so I wouldn’t have to waste time, waste money…but I guess it can’t be helped.
Back back to the point. I need this opportunity to go through soon. I wanted to actually attend my friends wedding in January. Plus with other life events, would rather be abroad. I actually emailed her today. And already was so disapppointed T___T I still am holding on to a glimmer of hope, but unless her wedding is the end of the month, I probably won’t make it. Ah well. At least I have time to make the other wedding in March.
On the mention of weddings, I actually have 6 weddings that I am invited to for 2015. One I am in, the two in Korea, 3 high school friends, and one other family friend. Just nuts O___O First time I had this many. I peaked at 5 a few years back when I was more active in my church. Now that was brutal on my student wallet. But all great times of course, so no worries.
Okay…I think I have finally forced my body into exhaustion. My eyes are starting to hurt. This seems to be the only way to sleep lately, since I
panic worry about the next month. I’m already packing…just let me leave!! haha…I’ll keep you updated :)